When I think about my trip with Iceland with my sister, my heart is full of happiness.
I decided to book this trip right after the new year`s resolution. I had included on my list a trip with my sister to somewhere amazing, just the two of us, having fun as just good sisters can have.
I decided to book the trip before telling her (SURPRISE) and after having had half a bottle of red wine(NOT WISE). So first I started by getting tickets from London to Reykjavík.Part one was DONE!.And then second part: get a ticket from Portugal to London for my sister. DONE!Part three:inform my sister that she needs to find the time to come on holiday with me. DONE, but with a PROBLEM!I think the wine didn’t help me to remember that, in fact, my sister´s surname is not the same as mine as she is married. PANIC.Contact the airline to change the name and, of course, the price to change the name is the same as getting a new ticket.I got new tickets.
Then time to start looking for accommodation in Reykjavík. PANIC again! Everything is so expensive, specially if you book last minute. I started wondering if we should camp in the freezing cold.
Finally I found a half decent place and the day before to the trip arrives. Uff, I was happy until I needed to book my cab. Apparently, God knows how, I bought the ticket not from London, but from an airport really far away from where. So basically I had to get a taxi that cost me almost the same as the flight itself. Well, one needs to keep positive so that’s what I did or sort of...
Finally arriving in Reykjavík, and it was one of the most beautiful landings I have ever seen. Arriving in that white island completely covered in Ice, It’s just something I will never forget.
Then we went to pick up our car, and obviously, very wisely, I had forgotten my driving license at home. LOVELLY!! Therefore I couldn’t pick up the car until Richard get home and senf a photo of my driving licence. We were almost not having any trouble at all during this were We?
Finally We got the car. Happy days! Driving to find our accommodation we got lost for more than an hour, driving in the snow, which obviously we both have a lot of practice, and in the dark.I am still wondering how, for 1 cm, we escaped from hitting another car, because obviously I got confused with traffic lights and I told my sister she could go ahead. In fact the red light was on for us! Uffff.It really gave me a fright and I started wondering if this was a good idea to book this holiday.
We arrived at our place, which was not great, Iceland apartments, but the location was convenient,very close to the city centre, very close to the airport and the blue lagoon, and with parking right outside.
Apart from the prices being extremely expensive, we loved every single minute we spent there. The landscape, the silence, the light, the food, the cold, the snow, people. It was one of the most amazing trips I have done, and I was lucky enough to have my sister with me.If you have a brother or sister I strongly recommend that you find the time to do something like this with them. You will feel again like you are just like you used to be when you were children, naughty and teasing your parents. Enjoy the complicity and the happiness of spending time with someone that you love and, that probably, knows you better than you know yourself.

I decided to book this trip right after the new year`s resolution. I had included on my list a trip with my sister to somewhere amazing, just the two of us, having fun as just good sisters can have.
I decided to book the trip before telling her (SURPRISE) and after having had half a bottle of red wine(NOT WISE). So first I started by getting tickets from London to Reykjavík.Part one was DONE!.And then second part: get a ticket from Portugal to London for my sister. DONE!Part three:inform my sister that she needs to find the time to come on holiday with me. DONE, but with a PROBLEM!I think the wine didn’t help me to remember that, in fact, my sister´s surname is not the same as mine as she is married. PANIC.Contact the airline to change the name and, of course, the price to change the name is the same as getting a new ticket.I got new tickets.
Then time to start looking for accommodation in Reykjavík. PANIC again! Everything is so expensive, specially if you book last minute. I started wondering if we should camp in the freezing cold.
Finally I found a half decent place and the day before to the trip arrives. Uff, I was happy until I needed to book my cab. Apparently, God knows how, I bought the ticket not from London, but from an airport really far away from where. So basically I had to get a taxi that cost me almost the same as the flight itself. Well, one needs to keep positive so that’s what I did or sort of...
Finally arriving in Reykjavík, and it was one of the most beautiful landings I have ever seen. Arriving in that white island completely covered in Ice, It’s just something I will never forget.
Then we went to pick up our car, and obviously, very wisely, I had forgotten my driving license at home. LOVELLY!! Therefore I couldn’t pick up the car until Richard get home and senf a photo of my driving licence. We were almost not having any trouble at all during this were We?
Finally We got the car. Happy days! Driving to find our accommodation we got lost for more than an hour, driving in the snow, which obviously we both have a lot of practice, and in the dark.I am still wondering how, for 1 cm, we escaped from hitting another car, because obviously I got confused with traffic lights and I told my sister she could go ahead. In fact the red light was on for us! Uffff.It really gave me a fright and I started wondering if this was a good idea to book this holiday.
We arrived at our place, which was not great, Iceland apartments, but the location was convenient,very close to the city centre, very close to the airport and the blue lagoon, and with parking right outside.
Apart from the prices being extremely expensive, we loved every single minute we spent there. The landscape, the silence, the light, the food, the cold, the snow, people. It was one of the most amazing trips I have done, and I was lucky enough to have my sister with me.If you have a brother or sister I strongly recommend that you find the time to do something like this with them. You will feel again like you are just like you used to be when you were children, naughty and teasing your parents. Enjoy the complicity and the happiness of spending time with someone that you love and, that probably, knows you better than you know yourself.